b-hebrew - RE: Hebrew language, antiquity of ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Hebrew language, antiquity of ?
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 12:32:01 +0200

I read the various answers to this mail but will not make any comments as to
the historicity of thepatriarchs and such items that have nothing to do with
the question of language.

Hebrew in its various attested forms is a late development of Amorite that
has been around since the 3rd millennium BCE. From the early phase it is
attested in many personal names from the time of the UR III dynasty and
probably earlier than that through the Mari letters and right down to the
end of the LB Period. We see from the Amarna letters from Syria and
Palestine that the native language was Amorite (if in doubt consult Rainey's
four volumes of Canaanite in the Amarna Letters), and of course we have
extensive documentation from Ugarit and from other places like Ta'anach
using the Ugaritic system of writing. The big difference between LBA Amorite
and the various dialects of the 1st millennium BCE - Phoenician, Moabite,
Palestinian Hebrew (i.e. inscriptions) - is the disappearance of cases (the
-u, -a, -i endings attested in Ugaritic but also in Amarna Amorite). Several
other changes took place. The place of biblical Hebrew within the history of
this language-and I still think until I am convinced of the opposite that
Aramaic was originally a spin off from Amorite-is contested. We have
diferent dialects within the Hebrew Bible, 1) what I will prefer to call
standard biblical Hebrew, and 2) non-standard biblical Hebrew. In contrast
to Avi Hurwitz I do not believe that it is on the basis of the biblical
literature possible to say what is early and what is late within this
textual corpus.

Hope this will clarify matters.

NPL

By the way, Fred based his article on Knauf's article in Zeitschrift für
Hebräistik (Vol. 3 [1990], 11-23, 'War "biblisch Hebräisch" eine Sprache'..
Fred's contribution will be 'The Problem of Dating Biblical Hebrew and the
Hebrew of Daniel' in Knud Jeppesen, Kirsten Nielsen and Bent Rosendal, In
the Last Days. On Jewish and Christian Apocalyptic and its Period (Aaarhus:
Aarhus University Press. 1994), 185-198.