b-hebrew - Re: Jericho's Anomalies (cut)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: Ian Hutchesson <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Jericho's Anomalies (cut)
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 16:44:50 +0200

> When did Aramaeans first hit Mesopotamian inscriptions -- not Ahlamu, but
> Aramaeans? When the Hebrews were already supposed to have been in
> Palestine. When the climatic change drove them out of the steppes and into
> more arable lands to survive, causing such trouble for the Assyrians and
> Babylonians in the Khabur region and Suhi.

If I remember correctly - and I may not - the Arimu, identified with the
Arameans,
first appear in 12th century BCE Middle Assyrian inscriptions. I forgot which
king
mentions them first; it may have been one of the Tukulti-Ninurtas or the
Tiglat-Pilesers. Someon e have a book handy?
Jonathan
--
Jonathan D. Safren
Dept. of Biblical Studies