b-hebrew - A couple of other questions

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim Brooks <jbrooks AT techline.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: A couple of other questions
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 09:42:28 -0700

Many thanks to all who so quickly responded to my DSS question yesterday. I live in the boonies and the nearest place that would have the resources needed to answer the questions is over two hours away.

If I may be so bold as to ask three more questions:

(1) This, again, from Fitzmeyer's article "The Matthean Divorce Texts" _Theological Studies_, 1976. In the Damascus Document 4:19-20, the "builders of the wall" are said to be "caught in unchastity (hazzenut) in two ways (bstym)." Is "in two ways" an acceptable translation of bstym?

(2) The pseudepigraphal book of The Testament of Reuben has extant copies in both Greek and Hebrew. TR 1:6 says: "See here, I call the God of heaven to bear witness to you this day, so that you will not behave yourselves in the ignorant ways of your and sexual promiscuity (Greek: porneia) in which I indulged myself and defiled the marriage bed of my father." If someone has access to a Hebrew copy of the Testament of Reuben, could you tell me if zenut is used for porneia in the verse?

(3) In the LXX, the Hebrew zenut was always translated by the Greek porneia. Is there any evidence whatsoever that the Hebrew zenut was translated by anything else other than the Greek porneia?

Again, many thanks to all.
Jim Brooks
Pastor, Grace Community Church
Elma, WA
jbrooks AT techline.com
http://www.techline.com/~jbrooks/gcc.htm

  • A couple of other questions, Jim Brooks, 05/31/2000