b-hebrew - RE: Vaulted Dome - Amos 9:6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dan Wagner <Dan.Wagner AT dstm.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: 'Joseph Brian Tucker' <music AT riverviewcog.org>
  • Subject: RE: Vaulted Dome - Amos 9:6
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 18:39:45 -0400

Joseph,

The word in question is used 3 other times in the MT: Exod. 12:22, 2 Sam.
2:25, Isa. 58:6. The Benjamites unite to form a "unit" or "band," apparently
in military operations as a precautionary or organizational maneuver (2
Sam.). The oppressive "bonds" of a yoke (fig. "bonds of oppression") should
be loosed, parallel to another rare word for "fetters" or "pains" of
imprisonment (Isa. 58; cf. Psm. 73:4). Several stalks of hyssop were
apparently held together with a "band" (Exod).

How this usage applies to "His [i.e., God as 3MS sfx.] strata in
[over/upon?] the earth" [NKJV] or "its [i.e., the "celestial layers/palace"
but dubious 3FP antecedent for 3MS sfx] foundation on the earth" [NIV], i'm
not sure. However, there is no evidence that the idea of a "hard dome" is
implied. It seems to me to be more an imagery for the limits and/or control
God has over these regions. The context of the verse points clearly to this,
and the idea of "bondage" (cf. Isa. 58 context) certainly fits with God's
absolute control of the earth's surface, atmosphere, stratosphere, space,
whatever ... though our sophisticated conception of these elements should
certainly not be imported into Amos' context (some try!).

Hope this helps.

Dan Wagner