b-hebrew - Re: sources on Jewish Ethics

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Robinson <GRComm AT concentric.net>
  • To: Cornelius Kuswanto <ckuswanto AT malang.wasantara.net.id>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: sources on Jewish Ethics
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 13:55:55 -0400

Dear Mr. Kuswanto --

When I was writing the chapter on the mitzvot and Jewish ethics in my
book Essential Judaism, I drew most heavily on the following books and
essays:

Berkovitz, Eliezer, Crisis and Faith (New York: Sanhedrin Press, 1976).

Chill, Abraham, The Mitzvot: The Commandments and Their Rationale
(Jerusalem: Keter, 1974).

Dan, Joseph, Jewish Mysticism and Jewish Ethics (Northvale, NJ: Jason
Aronson, 1996).

Greenstein, Edward L., "Biblical Law," in in Back to the Sources:
Reading the Classic Jewish Texts edited by Barry W. Holtz (New York:
Summit Books, 1984).

Heschel, Abraham Joshua, "Towards an Understanding of Halacha," in
Moral Grandeur and Spiritual Audacity, edited by Susanna Heschel (New
York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1996).

Kellner, Rabbi Menachem Marc, ed., Contemporary Jewish Ethics (New York:
Sanhedrin Press, 1988).

Rosenberg, Shalom, translated by John Glucker, Good and Evil in Jewish
Thought (Tel Aviv: MOD Books, 1989).

Admittedly, this is a rather eclectic list and hardly a collection of
standard texts on the subject. I would certainly add to it anything by
Heschel, and for a Reform perspective Dr. Eugene Borowitz.

George Robinson
Author, Essential Judaism (Pocket Books, 2000)

> Cornelius Kuswanto wrote:
>
> Dear friends,
> Could you help me with sources / name of text books on Jewish Ethics? Our
> seminary in Malang, Indonesia want to buy books on Jewish Ethics. Could
> anybody help me on this topic? Thank you very much indeed.
> Sincerely,
> Cornelius Kuswanto
> Old Testament lecturer
> South East Asia Bible Seminary
> Malang, Indonesia

  • sources on Jewish Ethics, Cornelius Kuswanto, 05/27/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: sources on Jewish Ethics, George Robinson, 05/27/2000