b-hebrew - Re: Dating the Pentateuch, Jericho's Anomalies

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: mattfeld AT mail.pjsnet.com, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Dating the Pentateuch, Jericho's Anomalies
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 12:35:01 EDT

In a message dated 5/25/2000 8:13:48 PM Central Daylight Time,
mattfeld AT mail.pjsnet.com writes:

<<
Three anomalies have cropped up as a result of the excavations at Jericho,
which contradict the Hebrew Bible's historical presentations:

I'm really beginning to wonder what your objective in these repeated posts
may be. Although you state that you are attempting to date the compostion of
the Pentateuch by reference to the dates of the places mentioned, it seems
that your objective is simply to repeatedly state (in the words of "Sportin'
Life" in Porgy & Bess) "It ain't necessarily so. The things that you're
liable to read in the Bible, it ain't necessarily so." With the exception of
fundamentalists (aka: evangelicals) the fact that the record presented in the
Pentateuch is not historically accurate is generally acknowledged.
Therefore, I ask "What is your objective?" Are you attempting to bludgeon
those who chose to accept the historicity of these accounts? I don't count
myself among them; however, I do have sympathy for their dilemma. I find
this whole matter rather objectionable since it is a constant barrage of
negativity.

If you have something positive to say, please get on with it. Establish, or
attempt to establish, your hypothesis rather than regale us with negative
comments.

gfsomsel