b-hebrew - Re: Questions about Psalm 46:10

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Studium Biblicum Franciscanum <sbfnet AT netvision.net.il>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Questions about Psalm 46:10
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 17:59:52 +0300

On Wed, 03 May 2000 18:43:27 Fernando Arias wrote:
Shalom!
I have some questions about on Psalm 46:10. The original Hebrew text has the word HRPW (He,Resh,Pe,Waw) which is translated as "be still" in the KJV, but Strong replaces it by raphah, RPH (Resh,Pe,He). My questions are:
1) Why does Strong replace the original word (HRPW)?
2) Do both words (HRPW and RPH) have the same meaning?
3) Do you agree "be still" it's a good translation? Why yes or not?
Thanks in advance for your answers,
Fernando.

Dear Fernando Arias,

I hope that what ffollows answers your questions.
I can not say anything about Strong, which I do not use.
I would analyze Psa 46:11 as follows:

"Be still and know (perhaps better: in order to know, as an "indirect, or logically suboridnate imperative" according to Joüon-Muraoka § 116a) that I (and no one else!) am God, / exalted among the peoples, / exalted in the earth!"

*harpû* is Imperative Hifil from *RPH*. In the Qal the verb means to become weak and it is said of someone who has no energy or courage. In the Hifil it means to let someone become weak, disheartened, or inactive. Though the verb has usually negative connotations, this is not the case in passages in which it is connected with seeing God's victory. Actually *harpû* is similar to *herep me' ap* "refrain from anger" (Psa 37:8) -- do not react. In the latter passage the addressed is invited to trust in God and wait to see his revenge not to react against evil people, rather to let God act.
Similarly in Psa 46:11: "Be still ("let yourselves remain inactive") in order that you may know that I am God." In the previous verse God is described as "the one who makes wars cease / to the end of the earth; / he shall break the bow, and shall shatter the spear, / while he shall burn the chariots with fire." I.e., the Israelites need not fear their enemies, nor prepare themselves to war with arms and political alliances; they only need to have faith in the Lord and remain inactive because He will crush the power of their enemies.

I think that this is also God's message at the Red Sea: "It is the Lord who will fight for you, while you shall be silent (taxarî$ûn)" (Ex 14:14), as well as the message of prophet Isaiah: "(To Ahaz) "Take heed and be quiet (*ha$qe+*), / do not fear..." (Isa 7:4); "(To the people) For thus the Lord God said, / the Holy One of Israel: / It is in converting (*coming back*) and resting (wanaxat) that you shall be saved, / in quietness (beha$qe+) and trust shall be your strength" (30:15).

Peace and all good.
Alviero Niccacci

Studium Biblicum Franciscanum Tel. +972 - 2 - 6282 936
POB 19424 - 91193 - Jerusalem Fax +972 - 2 - 6264 519
Israel
Home Page: http://www.custodia.org/sbf
Email mailto:sbfnet AT netvision.net.il