b-hebrew - Re: The Yovel

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: Maria Solarez <funi AT earthlink.net>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The Yovel
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 12:27:48 +0200

Maria Solarez wrote:

> I am looking for information about the Yovel or Jubilee Year written of in
> the Hebrew
> Bible. Of particular interest is mention of the same celebration by
> surrounding
> cultures or additional evidence/documentation/theory of the Yovel as
> celebrated by the
> Jewish people.

For starters, see:
Moshe Weinfeld, _Justice and Righteousness in Israel and the Nations_,
Jerusalem, Magnes
Press, 1985;
Jonathan D. Safren, "Jubilee and Day of Atonement", _Proceedings of the
Twelfth World
Congress of Jewish Studies, Division A: The Bible and Its World_(Jerusalem,
1999),
107*-115*,

--
Jonathan D. Safren
Dept. of Biblical Studies

  • The Yovel, Maria Solarez, 04/27/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: The Yovel, Jonathan D. Safren, 04/28/2000