b-hebrew - Re: Word Processors

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rodney K. Duke" <dukerk AT appstate.edu>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Word Processors
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 08:15:48 -0400

> Subject: Word Processors
> From: "Glenn Cook" <pule67 AT hotmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 20:50:36 -0600

> ------=_NextPart_000_0023_01BFAE2E.BE06AB60
>
> While we are on the subject of Word Processors, is Nota Bene $110 better =
> than Dagesh Professional? One thing that is making me look at Dagesh-Pro =
> is that they have a feature that when one clicks on any word it is =
> translated or a definition for that word is given.=20
>
> I'm running three operating systems, Win 98, Win 2000 and Corel's =
> version of Linux. I'm looking for a Hebrew-English word processor that =
> will work on all three systems. I'm told that Dagesh-Pro will work on =
> Win 98 and Win 2000, but not sure about Linux.
>
> Is there a cheaper Hebrew-English word processor out there? $200 to $300 =
> is a lot of money for my Social Security check to get around. I have =
> been even looking for an older version or used one, but haven't found =
> one. If it will not work on all three it doesn't matter which operating =
> system it works on. The main thing is I'm tired of typing backward.=20
>
> Any advice you care to give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
>
> Glenn Cook

Dear Glenn,
As I understand it, when Office 2000 is installed with Windows 2000, it
will have full
multi-lingual capabilities with right to left wrapping, etc., provided that
you have the
multi-language package. The university at which I work will be upgrading to
both soon, so I am
putting off buying any other package until I find out what this new
combination can do. I don't
know what the cost is for an individual user, however. It might be that
something else would be
cheaper and as or more effective for you. Perhaps there are some current
users who would let us
know the strengths and weaknesses of the multi-lingual capabilities of Office
2000 as well as the
cost?
Thanks!

Rodney K. Duke
Dept. of Phil. & Rel., Appalachian State Univ., Boone, NC 28608
(O) 828-262-3091, (FAX) 828-262-6619, dukerk AT appstate.edu