b-hebrew - When was the Hebrew language first used?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Novak" <novak AT bigpond.net.au>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: When was the Hebrew language first used?
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 9:38:10

This is my first post to this mailing list. I may be repeating a frequently
debated or commonly knows question, or it may be a stupid question that has
been bothering me for some time. If that is the case then I apologize.

According to Jewish tradition, the Torah was written by Moses. I would like
to find out if this is historically possible. Was the Hebrew language in
which the Torah is currently written, spoken at the time of Moses? Did the
children of Israel speak this language while they were in Egypt? When was
this language first spoken? Similarly for the Hebrew alphabet, was the
alphabet that is used in the Torah today, in existance in the times of
Moses? Is it possible that he actually wrote the Torah?

Any answers or links to where such answers may be found would be
appreciated.

Steve