b-hebrew - Ivrit and HB

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: John B Childs Jr <jchildsjr AT mmcable.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Ivrit and HB
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 17:48:25 -0500

Peter,

Of course, everything you share about artificial constructions and
"ancient wineskins" is absolutely true. I can in no way claim that my
experience was typical: I learned BH first, translated some medieval
documents and only THEN went to Ulpan at Hebrew U.

Some for whom BH is the primary focus will, no doubt, be able to come
the text with the eye of the classicist. As I keep telling my students,
Biblical Hebrew was formulated not for speaking, but for singing.
Therefore, the poets and lyricists will have a perspective on the text
that the linguists and classicists might not. Have you checked out Bono's
introduction to the selections from the Psalms? I never in my life thought
that the U2 fan and the Hebraist in me would be addressed at the same time.
Crazy world.