b-hebrew - Re: MELEK HA(WOLAM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: MELEK HA(WOLAM
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 23:36:59 -0400

This phrase may not be biblical, but it reminded me of the biblical
phrase "Everlasting Father" in Isaiah 9:6 English, 9:5 Hebrew, which
is used by Christians as a title of Jesus Christ in one of the regular
readings for the period of preparation for Christmas (somewhat
surprisingly, as Jesus Christ is usually described not as a father but
as a son, as at the start of the verse). I was surprised to find that
the Hebrew here (BHS) is just one word ):ABIY(AD . Presumably this is
translated as if two words: ):ABIY = father (construct form) and (AD
which can be a near synonym of (OWLFM = eternity. The construction
seems similar, and both the root MLK and the word (OWLFM are used in
the same context in the next verse. So perhaps the phrase MELEK
HF(OWLFM (?) can be related to these verses. But then I assume it is
used in the Jewish prayers as a title of God, and that can hardly be
the interpretation of this passage - or can it?

I'm not sure if this helps your question, except perhaps to suggest a
translation more like "Everlasting King" or "King for Ever".

Peter Kirk