b-hebrew - RE: Eccl. 3.5 - Stones

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dan Wagner <Dan.Wagner AT dstm.com>
  • To: 'Dave Ens' <dens AT callisto.uwinnipeg.ca>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Eccl. 3.5 - Stones
  • Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 22:16:08 -0400

If my memory serves me correctly, Robert Gordis (Koheleth-The Man and His
World) postulates (or cites) a theory that it's an allusion to the sex act,
possibly cross referencing the "locked up [rock?] garden" of a virgin in
Song 4:12ff. If so, the parallelism is obvious. Sorry as i don't have his
commentary handy to check if there is much support to the view other than
the parallelism. I don't think "stone" (or any other vocab for "rock," etc.)
ever has that usage otherwise in the Hebrew MT.

Dan Wagner