b-hebrew - Re: WHICH LEXICON???

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ray Clendenen" <rclende AT lifeway.com>
  • To: "Tony Starks" <data7201 AT aol.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: WHICH LEXICON???
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 07:42:38 -0600

Ray Clendenen@BSSBNOTES
03/30/2000 07:42 AM

When I studied 2nd year Hebrew with Bruce Waltke, we jokingly referred to
the course sometimes as "beyond BDB" because he was always telling us we
need to go beyond BDB. I understand KB to be the best right now, but it
hasn't made BDB superfluous. It also should be supplemented by other works
like David Clines' Dictionary of Classical Hebrew, which is more detailed
on usage and DSS usage. TDOT etc. should also be consulted. We just can't
say word X means Y because lexicon Z says so. Nothing or nobody is perfect.
Ray Clendenen
Broadman & Holman