b-hebrew - R: Neh. 4:17b

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Giuseppe Regalzi" <regalzi AT tiscalinet.it>
  • To: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: R: Neh. 4:17b
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 10:50:58 +0200

Liz Fried wrote:

> The translation of this passage seems perfectly clear and
> obvious to me, yet I haven't seen one commentator translate it
> this way ... My translation is: "none of us took off our
> clothes, or even went to the bathroom." literally, it reads "nor
> sent out water."

If this were the case, I would expect to read something like:

w:'en 'i$ m:$alleax hammayim

or:

'i$ nikla' mi$$all:xo hammayim, "each refrained from etc."

Still, I feel there is something sound in your suggestion... Maybe
the original text underwent a homoioteleuton:

'i$ $ilxo <b:yado gam b:$all:xo> hammayim, "each kept his spear in
his hand, even while he was etc."

What do you think?

Regards,

Giuseppe Regalzi

Giuseppe Regalzi
Via dei Velieri, 83
00121 ROMA
Italy
regalzi AT tiscalinet.it

  • R: Neh. 4:17b, Giuseppe Regalzi, 03/27/2000