b-hebrew - Diachronic studies (Siloam & Isaiah)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Walter Mattfeld" <mattfeld AT mail.pjsnet.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Diachronic studies (Siloam & Isaiah)
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 09:31:41 +0200

Diachronic Studies (Hezekiah's Siloam and Isaiah)

Earlier postings to this list by Edenburg and others (15, 17 & 20 Feb. 2000)
discussed the problems of using word forms to establish the date of texts. I
have recently argued on a historical basis, that Isaiah 1-39 is of the 8th
century BCE. I would imagine that word studies of these chapters might be
profitable in establishing any differences or similarities with the Primary
History (Genesis-2 Kings) and Chronicles-Ezra-Nehemiah.

Has the Siloam spring inscription attributed to Hezekiah by some, been
compared with Isaiah for similarities and contrasts in Hebrew word forms ?

I have argued from the archaeological foundations of cities mentioned in the
Pentateuch that it is not a creation of the 15th century BCE and the days of
Moses. The Medus myth of the 6th/5th centuries BCE dates the Pentateuch as
we have it today, in my understanding. Are there any inscriptions such as at
Lachish and Arad that "match up" with word forms found in Isaiah and
Jeremiah ? I would imagine that such studies must exist.

All the best,

Walter

Walter Reinhold Warttig Mattfeld
Walldorf by Heidelberg
Baden-Wurttemburg
Germany

  • Diachronic studies (Siloam & Isaiah), Walter Mattfeld, 03/26/2000