b-hebrew - Re: about translation Habakuk 2:4

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <brocine AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: about translation Habakuk 2:4
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 06:36:17 -0500

Dear Felix,

`uplah is a pual participle meaning something like "one
swollen." Here I take it to refer to one swollen with
pride. The syntax is abrupt, and I think hinneh `uplah
stands outside the rest of the clause. "Behold (the)
swollen one! His soul is not right in him."

Shalom,
Bryan

you wrote:

> I have a question about translation "UPLA" in Habakuk
2:4. (Hine UPLA
> lo-iash'ra nafsho bo...).
>
> Felix.

B. M. Rocine