b-hebrew - Re: Genesis 14 (a bit long) a Hasmonean addition?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: John Ronning <ronning AT nis.za>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Genesis 14 (a bit long) a Hasmonean addition?
  • Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 19:13:11 +0200

Ian Hutchesson wrote:

> I'm away from Rome at the moment, but I'd like to take the opportunity to
> mention that I > personally have not disseminated any comment about the
> whole chapter of Gen14. My comments > were directed solely at the passage
> in Gen14 which deals with Melkizedek and evinces the form > el elyon, which
> suddenly appears between the time that the king of Sodom goes to see
> Abraham > and the time when he arrives.

That being the case, you have a nice opportunity to check
the validity of your theory. If you are right, then the
detailed interrelations between Genesis 14 and other texts
that I mentioned in my first post should pertain only to
portions of Genesis 14 excluding the Melchizedek verses.
but that's not what we find - Salem, Melchizedek, and
Melchizedek's speech are all part of the mix showing up in
Genesis 15, Joshua 10, and Psalm 76.

John

  • Re: Genesis 14 (a bit long) a Hasmonean addition?, John Ronning, 03/02/2000