b-hebrew - Re: BAR- what rubbish

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Charles David Isbell" <cisbell AT home.com>
  • To: "Jim West" <jwest AT highland.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: BAR- what rubbish
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 11:42:29 -0600

I think it is only fair to accept the reality that in the 20th century, well
before the founding of the State of Israel in 1948, the world at large used
the term "Palestine" throughout to refer to the territory in question. So I
see no valid reason for offense at this use of the term. I regularly have
Arab/Muslim Palestinians in classes, and some of them refer to themselves as
citizens of "Israel," though most prefer to be called Palestinians. I
think the young people are the hope in this matter. But for the ancient
period, I personally would be comfortable with the term "Canaanite." I
would be interested to hear if any on the list feel that even this term is
too loaded with biblical overtones.
SOAPBOX ALERT:
It is a sign of our tense times that even as scholars we must speak
guardedly of an ancient era so as not to prejudice anyone coming to the
issue from a clearly late and politically charged perspective. And I would
also state that I think we as scholars might be able to find a small patch
of common ground in the hope that all Jewish and non-Jewish citizens of
modern Israel might somehow be able to solve this admittedly knotty problem
in some fair and balanced manner. I admit freely that the correct solution
is well beyond my own competence, but I am glad that both sides are at least
talking.
I often note for my students (generally about 90% Christian, 5-8% Muslim,
2-5% Jewish) that the person who murdered Prime Minister Rabin was not an
extremist Muslim but an extremist Jewish student of "torah" [what a
bastardization of the term!]. Likewise, those who murdered the courageous
President of Egypt, Sadat, were not Jews, but Muslim extremists who I
believe knew nothing of the great monotheistic faith known as Islam. The
murderers of both men hated them for their temerity in talking to the
"enemy." These are two equally dangerous and unacceptable ends of the same
tunnel that must be categorically denounced. So I offer a small prayer for
those who seek an equitable peace through negotiation. Should they succeed,
'im yirtzeh ha-shem/'inshallah, I think the result would be nothing but
salutary for our discipline of biblical studies.
Stepping down from the soapbox, apologizing in advance for bending the list
rules,
Charles