b-hebrew - Re[2]: Accuracy of the Biblical text??

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: Accuracy of the Biblical text??
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 10:49:45 -0500

Actually I think Liz has tried to read something more than intended
into Ian's debating point. It's an old trick. You say (logically
correctly) "If <something unlikely> then <the point I am trying to
prove>", say it loudly enough and with enough repetition and imply
that your point is proved, and hope that people don't notice that your
argument is all based in an unproven and probably untrue axiom.

Anyway, if early Hebrew is indistinguishable from early "Phoenician",
it becomes a meaningless question whether Moses received the Torah (if
he did) in Hebrew or "Phoenician".

Peter Kirk

PS I assume that this aspect of this thread is OK for continuing
discussion. I have restrained myself from commenting on-list to the
rest of it.