b-hebrew - Re: YIQTOL with past meaning

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: "Rolf Furuli" <furuli AT online.no>
  • Cc: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: YIQTOL with past meaning
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 10:35:27 -0500

Dear Rolf,
I was taught that yiqtol expresses future, past habitual, and
modal/subjunctive. Deut. 2:12 may be subjunctive. Thus it reads,
"The Horites also lived in Seir formerly, but the sons of Esau would
dispossess them (yiqtol, showing intent or desire). So they destroyed them
from before them, and they settled in their stead."
Lee R. Martin