b-hebrew - Gen 10 21 Was Shem the eldest?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Brian Sullivan" <navillusbpi AT primus.com.au>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: Gen 10 21 Was Shem the eldest?
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 6:2:44

Greetings to all on the list

Gen 10 21 reads UleShem yulad gam-hu avi kol-beney-Ever achi Yefet hagadol
and is rendered variously as
'the brother of Japheth the elder' (Green, J A literal translation of the
Bible,1976)or 'Shem .... the elder brother of Japheth' (RSV).
Greek texts such as the LXX seem to support the view that Japheth was the
elder as does Josephus in his Antiquities(1 chap. 6.§4) [1.143] which
reads: "(1 chap. 6.§4) [1.143] Shem, the third son of Noah, had five sons,
who inhabited the land that began at Euphrates" (Whiston
translation)[Greek:Sêmai de tôi tritôi tôn Nôchou huiôn pente ginontai
paides].
Please pardon my limited under standing of Hebrew but I truly do want a
clearer understanding of the Hebrew text especially in view of the
conflicting Hebrew translations on this phrase.
I wish to take to thank all for any assistance you can offer me in this
matter,

Thankyou Most Sincerely,

Brian Sullivan

  • Gen 10 21 Was Shem the eldest?, Brian Sullivan, 01/29/2024