b-hebrew - Re[6]: 1 Sam 31:5: was Saul necessarily dead?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[6]: 1 Sam 31:5: was Saul necessarily dead?
  • Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2000 23:25:42 -0500

Ian, my point is very simple. If you don't get it in Hebrew, try it in
English. If a narrative says: "X died. Y heard that X had died." then
we know that (from the narrators point of view) X really had died. If
the text merely says: "Y heard that X had died." that leave open the
possibility in English that Y's information was correct. If the text
says: "Y heard that X had died. Then Z came along and found X alive."
then we know that (within the narrative) Y's information was incorrect
- or just possibly that a there was a change of source in the middle!
Now I know the situation we have is not quite like my last example,
but it is not like the first one - but all your other examples are
just like the first one.

And I gave you just what you asked for, examples (many of them) of the
participle form M"T. I do not have examples of KIY M"T X definitely
meaning "that X was dying" or "that X appeared to be dead". And that
is why I have accepted NPL's and Dave's arguments. If you don't like
their arguments, direct your objections at them not me. I have
accepted that the "he wasn't really dead" hypothesis is dead, so stop
trying to demand evidence that it is alive!

Peter Kirk