b-hebrew - Re: <wayyiqtol> again

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <brocine AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: <wayyiqtol> again
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2000 08:22:43 -0500

Hi Galia! Happy New Year!

You wrote:
<snip>

One thing I
> know, which is relevant to our discussion, is that Modern
Hebrew and Modern
> English poetry tend to violate grammar rules in order to
elicit poetic
> effects. (Another reason why I chose to work on the
narrative and the law
> texts in BH, exculding the poetry material.)

I think that poetic techniques of the twentieth century are
*probably* not relevant for the study of the use of the verb
forms in BH poetry. Actually, English poets have only
written ungrammatically during the last century or so (it's
probably a function of the anti-establishment,
question-authority, i-said-it-therefore-it's-great values of
the century just expired. enough preaching, excuse me!
) ). Prior to the twentieth century, the masters of
English poetry used unusual word order maybe, but the
grammar was impeccable. Pope, Milton, Shelly, Shakespeare
write something ungrammatical? Unthinkable. I'm going to
play with an assumption until it proves impossible, namely,
that BH poetry is grammatical BH.

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine