b-hebrew - Re[4]: historiography

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[4]: historiography
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 01:27:28 -0500

I have heard that this important point about Daniel, also Esther which
cannot be earliier than the Persian period, can be explained by
describing the Hebrew of these two books as archaising. Note that it
is possible to write books in an archaising style when there already
exists a body of texts in the style being imitated. (Plenty of people
today are able to speak and write more or less in the style of the
King James Bible, though they do it only in religious contexts.) It is
much harder to write a whole body of texts in a consistent made-up
style, and even more so to make that style conform to a few ancient
inscriptions. As for your idea of a socio-dialect, it is not
impossible, but how come it was so well preserved for many centuries
and then suddenly died out? And how do you account for the
transitional nature of LBH, and that its use in history books is
restricted to those which must be post-exilic?

So we have a self-consistent scenario in which Genesis-Kings are
written (or revised) in the First Temple period, and Esther and Daniel
are written later but in archaising style to imitate these histories.
Do you accept this as a possible scenario? Do you have any other one
which explains the linguistic evidence? (Thank you for your detailed
examination of the language of the inscriptions.)

Peter Kirk

PS I think it was me rather than you who was confused by the
abbreviation DH.