b-hebrew - Re[10]: Methods in biblical scholarship (Peter)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[10]: Methods in biblical scholarship (Peter)
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 12:32:18 -0500

Dear Ian,

I have reread 1 Samuel 31 and 2 Samuel 1, and I realise that it is
saying something rather different.

31:4 The armour-bearer refuses to kill Saul, so Saul sticks his own
spear in the ground and impales himself on it.

31:5 The armour-bearer thinks Saul is dead and falls on his sword.
Both die. At this stage the author does not mention the Amalekite as
he is irrelevant.

1:6-10 The Amalekite found Saul after he had impaled himself but not
yet quite dead. Presumably the armour-bearer was dead already, a sword
being more deadly than a spear. So the Amalekite kills Saul to put him
out of his misery, and walks off with his crown and armlet. David
believes the story as how else would the Amalekite have got the crown
and armlet?

So where is the contradiction?

Peter Kirk