b-hebrew - Re: Methods in biblical scholarship (Solomon)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Numberup AT worldnet.att.net
  • To: Moshe Shulman <mshulman AT ix.netcom.com>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Methods in biblical scholarship (Solomon)
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 13:56:38 -0800

What do I mean by "canon"? In simplest terms for this discussion, a
standardized,
recognized set of writings held as sacred scripture by traditional Judaism.
By that I
mean that if you go anywhere in the world and read a copy of the Tanach,
you will
find certain specific books in it. But you will not find others. I am not
assuming
or asserting that this definition of "canon" is held by all scholars of
Judaism, or is
even always relevant, but it is a working definition.

Solomon Landers
Memra Institute for Biblical Research
http://www.memrain.org