b-hebrew - Re: Psa 16:10; chasideycha

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Numberup AT worldnet.att.net
  • To: Ben Crick <ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Psa 16:10; chasideycha
  • Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 15:54:26 -0800

I have noted the same in several Jewish translations I have, both hard copy
and CD-ROM
Bibles. It appears that Jewish translators have no problem with rendering
the word as
a singular, even when some accompanying texts have the Hebrew in the plural.
As I
stated earlier, the Mesorah Publications translation of that verse has the
plural in
the Hebrew text, but also a note in Hebrew that it should be read as a
singular noun.
No doubt such translators might understand God's "loyal one" here to be David
himself,
or even the Davidic Mashiach (Messiah), whoever he might prove to be. Some
Jewish
sages state that "You will not allow your devout/pious/loyal one to see
destruction,"
is not a prophecy, but a prayer or request. Others, however, such as Rashi,
see it as
a prophetic statement.

Solomon Landers
Memra Institute for Biblical Research