b-hebrew - Re[6]: Jewish Revisionism and Attempted Corruptions

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[6]: Jewish Revisionism and Attempted Corruptions
  • Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 20:44:34 -0500

Dear Ian,

I wasn't saying that you entered into such a debate, but you did
contribute a thread started by "Debtor"'s assertion which I summarised
as "the MT is a deliberate corruption from the Christian era". My
point is simple: that the differences between the pre-Christian DSS
and the MT are very small, dialect related and/or scribal errors, and
do not correspond to the theological issues in which "Debtor" has an
interest. I think you are agreeing with me on this. If not, please
clarify.

Peter Kirk

_________________________________
Author: <mc2499 AT mclink.it> at Internet
Date: 29/10/99 02:51

Dear Peter,

I don't really understand the point of your post. I did not enter into the
debate based on the conclusion-driven notion that "the MT is a deliberate
corruption from the Christian era". The notion that there was a totally
delineated MT version at the time of the DSS is as erroneous as that there
was a totally delineated LXX version. The tendency in the DSS seems to
support a stronger movement toward the MT.

At 09.16 28/10/99 -0400, peter_kirk AT sil.org wrote:
>It seems very odd that some people can say that two texts (MT Is and
>1QIsA) are almost identical and another that they are in different
>languages!

Dialects. Consider: some verb suffixes, some person pronouns... Qimron
mentions nouns that are found in the Tiberian tradition as qi+l or qa+l are
qu+l in QH. More frequent use of a feminine plural -wt on masculine nouns.
I've just skimmed a few examples.

Cheers,

Ian

<snip>

  • Re[6]: Jewish Revisionism and Attempted Corruptions, peter_kirk, 11/02/1999