b-hebrew - Re: rabbinic search: torah scholar software

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ruthy & Baruch" <alster AT comandcom.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: rabbinic search: torah scholar software
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 18:43:05 +0200

Randall wrote:
>for tennaitic lit, ytalmud, btalmud, halaxic midrashim, aggadic midrashim,
>rashi-radaq-et.al., tena"x, and targum,

>an inexpensive, fast CD
>is Torah Scholar Software
>"Judaic archives".

Yes, it's inexpensive, but it can't seem to find a lot of things I'm
looking for (which I find using a concordance ...). IMO, it's not worth
it. There is a cheaper CD out, recently advertised at about 500 shekels
($120), but I haven't used it yet, and I can't find the ad with the name of
the product.

>A more textually reliable, ridiculously expensive edition is available
>through bar-ilan university.

Bar Ilan's textual reliability is far superior to other Judaic CD's I've
seen. Their Responsa Project can search Tanach, Talmud, Midrashim and
other sources by quite a few methods (incl. root). However, it does not
have vowels or cantellation. They also put out "Ma'agar Ha-Tanach", which
has Tanach with vowels and cantellation, and is not nearly as expensive as
the Responsa.

L'hitra'ot
Baruch Alster