b-hebrew - Bible Tools

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jonathan Bailey <jonathan.bailey AT gmx.de>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew list <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Bible Tools
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 16:51:20 +0200

I am sitting here with no sort of Concordance or search tools and have
decided that I
am going to buy myself a program for my computer. I am looking for
recommendations.

I do a lot of work in rabbinical literature and in addition to having a
program which will
search the Tenach, I would also like one in which I can search at least the
Talmud,
and possibly additional Midrashim. I do a weensy bit with the NT too, and
that might
be nice, but since Jews are not too into the NT, something with Tenach, NT,
and
Talmud in the same program is probably too much to ask.

I would like something that can export to at least RTL Hebrew word
processors, but
also to LTR word processors would be nice. Also I would like the Tenach to
have as
much Nikud and cantillation as possible, and to be able to export these signs
as well,
if possible.

Also, searching for words by root it enough. I do have something of a search
tool with
my ancient "Online Bible 6.0" but since I can't search by the root it is
almost
worthless.

A program that had "tags" for words (so I could click them and get
inflection,
definition, and/or binyan information) would be nice too, but not necessary.

Lastly, something that would let me use my Israeli keyboard for input would
be nice.

Anybody know of anything that would meet a large portion of these needs? (I
am sure
a program that meets them all would be too much to ask.) At least can someone
tell
me about their search programs so I can get links, info, and a feel for what
to expect?

Jon