b-hebrew - vav-reversive

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <brocine AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: vav-reversive
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 23:37:11 -0400

Hi Brian, You wrote:

> 2. What term do you use for the vav reversive? Just, a
simple vav or
> anything else?

The only publication I can think of that uses the term
vav-reversive regularly is Kittel, Hoffer, and Wright. It's
kind of hokey, as they admit, and it's supposed to be the
vav on a qatal that alledgedly converts the meaning of the
affixed form to that of a prefixed form. While we have said
in the past that Kittel et. al's terminology is fairly
harmless, this is one of the least desireable appelations
they use, IMO. I prefer the least loaded of terms, weqatal,
as opposed to Kittel's "affix with the vav-reversive" or the
common "converted perfect."

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor
Living Word Church
6101 Court St. Rd.
Syracuse, NY 13206

(office) 315.437.6744
(home) 315.479.8267

  • vav-reversive, Bryan Rocine, 09/29/1999