b-hebrew - re: Synchronic Hebrew Divisions

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: yochanan bitan <ButhFam AT compuserve.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: re: Synchronic Hebrew Divisions
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 15:18:08 -0400

At 03:05 PM 9/29/99 -0400, you wrote:
>>The very tentative order I have so far is (don't laugh!):
>
>>gen exo lev num deu
>
>i only laugh when people put lev after ezekiel and ignore avi hurvitz's
>work that nicely divides 1st from 2nd temple hebrew. for a summary of the
>position, see anchor bible dictionary on priestly source (milgrom).

Perhaps then you should look at someone else's work- for instance Fred
Cryer, who shows quite clearly that the division between the so called 1st
and 2nd temple periods so far as the hebrew of the hebrew bible is concerned
is impossible to maintain. there is good reason to follow wellhausen in
this matter. very good and compelling reasons, which still, even after
these many years, have not been addressed or disproven.

best,

jim

Jim West, ThD
email- jwest AT highland.net