b-hebrew - Re: Joshua and Jeshua

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Numberup AT worldnet.att.net
  • To: Tony Costa <tmcos AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Joshua and Jeshua
  • Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 12:18:44 -0700

Jeshua is most likely a parallel form with Joshua, both of which are short
forms
deriving apparently from Yehoshua. "Joshua" is spelled "Yehoshua" in the
Masoretic
text of that book, but the same son of Nun is called "Hoshea" in Numbers
13:8, and
"Yeshua" in the Hebrew text at Nehemiah 8:17. I have read somewhere that
the "short
forms" may be due to the influence of Aramaic, but do not have ready access
to that
reference.

Solomon Landers
Memra Institute for Biblical Research
http://www.memrain.org

Tony Costa wrote:

> Can anyone shed some light on the relation between Joshua (Yehoshua) and
> Jeshua. I understand that Jeshua appears in the post-exilic texts like
> Zechariah. Is Jeshua a later development from Joshua or a contracted form of
> Joshua? Many thanks.
>
> Tony Costa, B.A.
> University of Toronto

  • Joshua and Jeshua, Tony Costa, 09/02/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Joshua and Jeshua, Numberup, 09/03/1999