b-hebrew - Re[2]: New Topics

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, <zellmer AT digitelone.com>
  • Subject: Re[2]: New Topics
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 10:59:47 -0400

Dear Paul,

This is an interesting question, and one which I happen to be looking
at (at a seminar) in the context of a quite different language family,
Turkic. Surely the answer is to look at sentences in which the normal
order of clause constituents is not followed. Thus in Azerbaijani,
where the normal order is subject-object-verb, the sentence "Otaqdaki
sukutu Rauf pozdu" ("In-the-room silence Rauf broke"), the order is
object-subject-verb, and this indicates some special marking on the
subject, the name "Rauf". In the context it is clear that he is being
brought into the story as a new topic (he was previously named only as
one of a group). Can we find similar examples in Hebrew where the
subject of transitive verb comes towards the end of the sentence,
after the object? Can the explanation for these cases, or for some of
them, be that the subject is a new topic? If so, that would be a
strong indication that new topics do indeed move towards the end of
the sentence in Hebrew as in other languages.

Peter Kirk