b-hebrew - Re: Kinsman-redeemer

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Will Wagers <hyle AT airmail.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Kinsman-redeemer
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 21:24:28 -0600

Bryan writes:

I mentioned to Matthew that "kinsman" seems to want the
*familial* care that Ruth, Naomi, and Boaz seem to share in
their understanding of go'el. Similarly, "rescuer" seems to
want the sense that the rescuer has right as such because he
was a rel. I still like kinsman-redeemer, at least in the
book of Ruth and those portions of the Law concerning the
issue.

How about "champion"?

Will Wagers hyle AT airmail.net "Reality is the best metaphor."