b-hebrew - Letters in Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: yochanan bitan <ButhFam AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "INTERNET:gs02wmr AT panther.Gsu.EDU" <gs02wmr AT panther.Gsu.EDU>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Letters in Hebrew
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 11:42:15 -0400

>Is this really true in conversational Ivrit? I am very curious about the
>purity of spoken Hebrew and Biblical Hebrew. How much has really been
>altered and how much of Yiddish, Arabic, or others have been implanted
>into the language. Why is it so difficult to pronounce the Ayeen
>seperately from the Aleph?
it's not difficult to pronounce `ayin differently from alef or Het from
xaf. many little neighborhoods around israel still produce delightful
hebrew, with Het's and `ayin's. you might want to listen to some songs by
eyal golan, an up and coming israeli singer.

tshaHtsaH is slang for a northafrican: e.g. "he speaks with a tshaHtshaHi
accent".

braxot
randall buth

  • Letters in Hebrew, yochanan bitan, 08/04/1999