b-hebrew - Re: maz-zot `asita

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: maz-zot `asita
  • Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 22:29:33 -0400

Thanks for agreeing with my "so obvious it's embarrassing" linguistic
insights on long vowels.

On this issue, again perhaps to state the obvious, in very many
languages including English question words are fronted, and so the
regular word order is not followed. So questions, with their marked
word order, are not suitable for determining the default or unmarked
word order for a language.

I continue to support a verb first unmarked word order for Hebrew. The
reason that QATAL is rarely found at the beginning of a sentence is
simply that most sentences start with a conjunction, perhaps one
should describe the unmarked word order as
conjunction-verb-subject-object. Thus strictly sentence initial QATAL
is only found in rare situations where the conjunction is omitted e.g.
the beginning of direct speech. Of course the commonest conjunction is
WE- (conventionally written together with the following word, whether
noun, verb or anything else). So, as expected on the theory of that
the unmarked form is verb first, we commonly see in unmarked text the
sentence initial form WEQATAL.

Now for some quite different reasons (not properly explained) WEQATAL
has a meaning, or at least a distribution among discourse types,
different from that of WE- plus QATAL. But I don't see that semantic
issue as relevant to the syntactic question of basic word order.

To say as you do that X-QATAL is not verb first is simply tautologous!
On my theory this is a marked form giving prominence to the subject,
and to the state it is in as a result of the past action of the verb,
i.e. I see X-QATAL as corresponding roughly to the English perfect.
This of course nicely fits your Jonah example: "What have you done
[which has these present consequences]?" Or perhaps X-QATAL can be
considered analogous to a non-verbal sentence with a past (active)
participle: "X is having-QTL'ed", which goes somewhat towards Bryan's
idea of QATAL as stative.

Peter Kirk