b-hebrew - AW: Re[2]: Meaning of ger

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: markus.springer AT t-online.de (Markus Springer)
  • To: 'Lewis Reich' <lbr AT sprynet.com>, 'Biblical Hebrew' <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: AW: Re[2]: Meaning of ger
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 18:26:54 +0200

If I may add my two cents as a german student: Just recently the new left
wing government has reformed the german citizenship law which before dated
from the year 1913. It defined citizenship primarily by descent: A child of
german parents is german no matter where it has been born.
Since the end of world war II, especially with the millions of italian,
turkish, greek, yugoslavian and many other nations' *Gastarbeiter* coming to
Germany during the boom years, this society has deeply changed from a rather
homogenous towards a more multi-cultural.

I think the *guest worker* thing is a myth: Most of them came here to stay.
And so the term *Gastarbeiter* is basically no longer used in Germany for it
sounds a little sixties-like. While it is true that many of the first
generation migrants go or went back to the countries where they were born
after they retired, most of the second (and even third) generation are not
thinking of ever going *back*, because they were born, raised and formed in
this country. Two of my friends are *Turks*, both of them came as kids
together with their parents and are now studying medicine. According to what
they say they are speaking german better than turkish (but gey still get
along with an Istanbul cab driver). Even if they got german citizenship under
the old law, the new law has now territorial aspects (similar to France or
the US) which make it easier to get into german citizenship: Who is born in
Germany and whos parents are not german can claim for citizenship after some
years of living permanently in Germany.
So history went over the concept of foreigeners coming to this country doing
the hard and dirty work and after that leave. German society has been changed
by the presence of *Auslaender* more drastically than one would have imagined
in the sixties. The society had to face the fact that they are part of the
society.

Still: I don't know about other countries but for Germany I must say that
there is a difference between a now more liberal citizenship law
theoretically granting full rights and every day racism in public offices as
well as on the streets. I think a German of african descendance still faces
some problems. Darker skin and black hair don't seem to fit into the pattern
of how a "German" should look like. So there is a difference between
legislation and constitution (according to Art. 3,3 nobody must be
discriminated because of his or her descendance, language or origin) and the
reality of how people deal with the *foreign*. Or if I may put it this way:
If discrimination wasn't a fact in human life there would be no legislation
necessary that deals with it.
For me the identification of ger with *Auslaender* in this context - though
not perfectly matching the situation in ancient Israel - is hermeneutically
helpful.

Markus Springer
(Markus.Springer AT evtheol.uni-muenchen.de)