b-hebrew - Re: Re[2]: Meaning of ger

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lewis Reich" <lbr AT sprynet.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Re[2]: Meaning of ger
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 22:13:03 -0400

On 8 Jul 99, at 22:37, Peter JKirk wrote:

> I would think that the nearest modern equivalent may well be
> migrant workers such as the Turks in Germany. Or can anyone suggest
> any better analogies?

Sounds like a good analogy as to situation, except that the Turkish
workers in Germany, to the best of my knowledge, aren't migrants -
they're settled for the long term but barred from full rights of
citizenship. I think the term used is *gastarbeiter* - guest worker.

Even so, the analogy is imperfect, as the gastarbeiter is specifically
barred from full rights of citizenship, whereas the Torah's legislation
regarding the ger emphasizes granting a fuller array of rights than
might normally be expected.

Lewis Reich
lbr AT sprynet.com