b-hebrew - Re[2]: Leprosy (Peter)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[2]: Leprosy (Peter)
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 99 23:00:52

On Sat 29 May 99 (11:22:30), peter_kirk AT sil.org wrote:
> But if we accept the arguments that Biblical TsaRa`at is
> not Hansen's Disease, and given that in modern English the word
> "leprosy" is generally used for Hansen's Disease, the gloss "leprosy"
> then becomes inappropriate. I did suggest off-list to Matthew the
> possibility of a gloss "leprosy" in quotation marks with a footnote;
> but I don't think a simple gloss "leprosy" is acceptable given the
> weight of modern medical opinion.

Dear Peter,

The word Leprosy is used in all the English versions until the late 20th
century; the RSV of 1952 still uses it. The NRSV of 1989 uses a phrase
"leprous disease" with a marginal note "A term for several skin diseases;
precise meaning uncertain". See my reply to Ite Sheres (CC to the List)
concerning "the weight of modern medical opinion".

Ben
--
Revd Ben Crick, BA CF
<ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk>

  • Re[2]: Leprosy (Peter), Ben Crick, 05/29/1999