b-hebrew - Re[2]: die Flucht ins Prasens, Rodney

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, <brocine AT earthlink.net>
  • Subject: Re[2]: die Flucht ins Prasens, Rodney
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 23:10:42 -0400

Dear Bryan,

I was surprised to read the following in your recent posting:

Shared meanings:
yiqtol and wayyiqtol (prefixed forms) = fientive
qatal and weqatal (suffixed forms)= attributive

Despite Rolf's persistent attempts, I still fail to grasp any shared
meaning component (at least in prose) between (non-initial) yiqtol and
wayyiqtol, or between (non-initial) qatal and weqatal. Perhaps, if you
agree with Rolf on this, you can explain this more clearly to me. In
what discourse types to you see these shared meanings? Are they seen
in prose, or only in poetry?

Can this point be illustrated from Exodus 25-40, or is it obscured for
some reason in these parallel descriptions? On the basis of these
passages, I would have expected you to classify wayyiqtol and weqatal
togther as fientive, and yiqtol and qatal together as attributive.

Peter Kirk