b-hebrew - Re: Pressure

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: GregStffrd AT aol.com
  • To: cgyeager AT mwci.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Pressure
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 20:46:03 EDT

In a message dated 4/30/99 11:25:33 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
cgyeager AT mwci.net writes:

<< It is not I however, who have said that all other religions - all of
them - are in error, and apostasy from the one true God. That, Greg, IS
JW doctrine - supported by such inflammatory tracts as "Let God Be
True," or "Should You Believe in the Trinity."

Nuff Said. Back to the Wayyiktols!

Pax >>

Dear Greg:

You are now on a topic entirely unrelated to the one with which I took issue,
and concerning which you made inaccurate, negative, and sweeping statements.
It is also completely inappropriate for this List.

So there is no confusion at all regarding the Witnesses' position on the
pronunciation of the divine name, I quote the Witness publication Reasoning
from the Scriptures (Brooklyn: Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, 1989), 196:

"Most names change to some extent when transferred from one language to
another. Jesus was born a Jew, and his name in Hebrew was perhaps pronounced
Yeshua, but the inspired writers of the Christian Scriptures did not hesitate
to use the Greek form of the name, Iesous. In most other languages the
pronunciation is slightly different, but we freely use the form that is
common in our tongue. The same is true of other Bible names. How, then, can
we show proper respect for the One to whom the most important name of all
belongs? Would it be by never speaking or writing his name because we do not
know exactly how it was originally pronounced? Or, rather, would it be by
using the pronunciation and spelling that are common in our language, while
speaking well of its Owner and conducting ourselves as his worshipers in a
manner that honors him?"

Greg Stafford

  • Re: Pressure, GregStffrd, 04/30/1999