b-hebrew - Re: YHWH vs. Yahweh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Paul Zellmer <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>
  • To: list b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: YHWH vs. Yahweh
  • Date: Sat, 01 May 1999 07:16:58 +0800

yahua'sef wrote:

> could you please explain what you wrote in
> ...layman's terms?

Wondell,

The transliteration scheme, which has been suggested for use on this list but
is by no
means required, should be able to be found at
http://metalab.unc.edu/bhebrew/, but I was
unable to check it out since our friends in Chapel Hill, NC, seem not to have
their
computer on. Anyway, most of the consonants that Peter used should be
evident. Some of
the more obscure forms he used are: OW = full holem, " = tsere, : = shewa, $
= shin, W.
= hureq, ( = ayin, and [my favorite] F = qamets. Generally, we give the
references so
that readers can look up the Hebrew in whatever tanakh they have handy.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Peter had written:

> > BIYHOWS"P at Psalm 81:6, apparently from a theophoric variant Y:HOWS"P
> > of the regular YOWS"P. (GKC 53q treats this as a variant form of
> > hiphil, but I am not convinced). So we have a similar variation to
> > that we recently discussed between Y:HOW$W.A( and Y"$W.A(, though with
> > a different vowel. So it is at least possible that Y:HOWS"P was
> > original and YOWS"P a contraction of it. In fact the original might
> > have been Y:HOWYOS"P (as in the explanation in Genesis 30:23), by
> > analogy with Y:HOWYFKIYN, another theophoric name with a hiphil
> > jussive, or perhaps Y:HOWHOSIYP, by analogy with other Yeho- names
> > which are mostly followed by a "perfect" form - both of these forms
> > would naturally be shortened to Y:HOWS"P and then further to YOWS"P.
> >
> > Peter Kirk

Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Philippines

zellmer AT faith.edu.ph