b-hebrew - Re: Tetragrammaton--Minor Correction

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: GregStffrd AT aol.com
  • To: churchyh AT ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Tetragrammaton--Minor Correction
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 12:00:23 EDT

In my statement to Henry:

<< So this helps see how the ending of the Tetragrammaton might have appeared
(-yah or -yahu). But if we had an initial yahw- followed by a -yah or -yahu
suffix, where is the evidence that we would not have a middle vowel, as we do
in ALL other compound names that incorporate an initial yahw- element? >>

The second line should have read, "But if we had an initial yah- followed by
a -WH suffix, where is the evidence that we would not have a middle vowel
between yah- and -WH, as we do in ALL other compound names of this sort?
Indeed, when yah- is used as the initial element in compound names it always
contains the middle vowel, and that was Buchanan's point.

Greg Stafford

  • Re: Tetragrammaton--Minor Correction, GregStffrd, 04/29/1999