b-hebrew - The usage of GAR??

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Moon-Ryul Jung" <moon AT saint.soongsil.ac.kr>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: The usage of GAR??
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 23:35:34

Dear B-Greekers,

when I read the Greek bible, I have a great difficulty in understanding
connective GAR. I learned that GAR introduces
a statement which provides a ground, reason, or evidence for what goes
before the current statement. But there are many cases where I cannot
see in what ways the GAR relates the current sentence to what goes
before it. I think I do not understand the semantic range of GAR.
I would appreciate if you can explain the usage of GAR and refer to
some references. In particular, I would like to know whether GAR
sentences can move the discourse or the debate forward.
If GAR sentences provide only explanation for what goes before,
they would not move the discourse forward.

The English translation of GAR is mostly "For". But is this usage of "For"
well understood by ordinary speakers of English? Modern English seems to
do well without this "for".

Sincerely

Moon

Moon-Ryul Jung
Assistant Professor
Dept of Computer Science
Soongsil University,
Seoul, Korea

  • The usage of GAR??, Moon-Ryul Jung, 03/30/1999