b-hebrew - Re: Isa 43:5: Which East and other problems

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Isa 43:5: Which East and other problems
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 99 01:57:33

On Mon 29 Mar 99 (22:04:25), kdlitwak AT concentric.net wrote:
> what East does MZRC and MRHWQ refer to in Isaiah 43:5-6? I
> presume this east is likely Babylon, though it could have a further
> reach I suppose. What might that be? What would constitute far away?
> I'm not convinced that it has to be Babylon, because nothing prior to
> this tells us that is the case (Isa 40, as I'm sure you all know, never
> mentions Babylon).

Dear Ken,

ISTM that God is not talking through Isaiah about any definite geographical
location, but about all possible geographical locations: he mentions east
west north and south. No matter how far flung His people have become
scattered to the four corners of the earth, He will regather them all from
thence.

> Regarding grammar, I was able to find the root RHQ but not the form
> RHWQ. What am I missing?

MiMMiZ:RaC from the east: MiZ:RaC is from ZaRaC meaning to rise, as the
sun rises in the East. `eReB is the evening, i.e. the sunset: the West.
ZTsaPoWN is the north; TeYMaN is a denominative from YaMiYN, the right
hand (i.e. south when you are facing the sunrise).

> ALso, more importantly, at the start of 43:5,
> )TKh seems to have no place in the sentence: "For you I from the East
> will bring your seed. I don't see what )TKh is doing there.

'iTT:Ka is 'eT with 2 ms pronominal suffix, "with thee". "Fear not, for
I am with thee". 'aL-TiYRa' KiY 'iTTeKa-'aNiY , etc.

Happy Easter/PeSaC +oWB
Ben
--
Revd Ben Crick, BA CF
<ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk>

  • Re: Isa 43:5: Which East and other problems, Ben Crick, 03/30/1999