b-hebrew - Re: Isa 45:5: Which East and other problems

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Isa 45:5: Which East and other problems
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 18:03:02 -0500

In v.6 M"RFXOWQ (with het/xet not he) comes from RFXOWQ "distant,
distant place", which is a common word.

In v.5 )IT.:KF-)FNIY surely means (as NIV) "I am with you", then
MIM.IZRFX starts a new clause (as indicated by the atnax on )FNIY ).

As for where the far away place might be, surely this is deliberately
left unspecified: perhpas the prophet did not know, but more likely he
was trying to include all parts of the world in these two verses. No
doubt if asked to specify, he would have said "for example, Assyria"
or "for example, Babylon" depending on when he wrote.

Peter Kirk