b-hebrew - Re: Re[3]: wayyiqtol test, dave:necessary

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Re[3]: wayyiqtol test, dave:necessary
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 18:10:24 -0700

Galia wrote:
> Dave wrote:
> >Galia wrote:

> >> I agree, except that (c) has TWO clauses. The second one would be
> >> in qatal.
> >
> >Hmm, now that you mention it, (c) has THREE clauses. I agree
> >that the second one (more or less indirect speech) would be in
> >qatal, if by KIY, or possibly an infinitive clause if not. Things are
> >further muddied by the fact that it's a negated clause. Your theory,
> >if I understand it correctly, predicts that the third clause would be in
> >yiqtol preceded by )IM. That sounds good to me.
> >
> >Dave Washburn
>
> Yes, (c) has THREE clauses; what was I thinking? Now what would I
> predict for (c)? Gee, this is tough. I cannot recall an example of indirect
> speech with a conditional. So let me first see how it would be with direct
> speech.
> (c') She said: "If you (had) forgot(ten) I would not have forgiven
> you."
> Would you agree that (c') is the direct speech equivalent of (c)? So what

Possibly. Another possibility, one that I think fits the (admittedly
limited) context a little more, is
(c'') She had said, "If you forget I won't forgive you."

> we have here is a counterfactual. Counterfactuals in BH are expressed
> (usually) by qatal, and therefore I expect both clauses within the direct
> speech to appear in qatal. I don't recall an example of counterfactual
> within indirect speech, but I would have to assume that in such case, too,
> the verbs will be in qatal.

If (c') is the direct-speech equivalent of (c), agreed. If (c'') is the
direct-speech equivalent, then we have a simple if-then condition. If
I follow the theory correctly, we would be looking at something like
this for the latter:

WAT.O)MER )IM $FKAXTF LO) )ESLAX

i.e. WP - )IM + qatal Lo) + yiqtol

Were the last clause not a negated clause, it would be possible for
a weqatal to appear there, since it is often used as an apodosis.
However, since these can't be negated, I would expect a yiqtol.
What do you think?

And of course, if your representation of the direct-speech equivalent
is correct and mine isn't, all of the above is academic :-)
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur