b-hebrew - Re: Ruth 1:11

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: John Ronning <ronning AT ilink.nis.za>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Ruth 1:11
  • Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 19:30:04 +0200

It has been suggested that LAKEM in Ruth 1:9, 11, as well as LAHEN in Exod
1:21 were
actually originally (in the consonantal text) dual (not plural) common gender
forms,
whose pronunciation was not preserved by tradition, so they were confused
with the
masculine plural.

Sorry I don't recall the details; I don't have the article, but here is the
bibliography (I don't have the title): JQR 73 (1982): 38-58. by Gary
Rendsburg
(Also has a discussion of old dual form verbs).

John Ronning

Jonathan Brubaker wrote:

> Some friends and i have been slowly translating our way through Ruth while
> going through a first year grammar. We have come across a perplexing
> phenomenon to us. The word LAKEM appears to be refering to a femenine
> subject (Naomi's two daughters), yet the form is masculine. I am sure that
> there is a basic answer to this but at the moment it is beyond our meager
> skills. This same construction also appears in verse 9. Please help!!
> Thanks.
>
> Jonathan Brubaker

  • Re: Ruth 1:11, Doug Kasten, 03/01/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Ruth 1:11, John Ronning, 03/01/1999